02 July 2012

Shoes, lets try this again

I am at it again. A new shoe project is currently underway! And this time, its going to be weather worthy. Yup, that's right, I have plans for soles that will hopefully last outside and be fairly waterproof!! As you can see in the picture below, I have a thick leather sole wrapped in burlap. My plan is to apply several layers of rubber cement to the bottoms after the uppers have been attached to protect the soles and burlap from wear, and to provide some amount of grip (aided of course by the rough burlap bottoms).
Wanting to keep it simple, the uppers should have a wide enough opening to make laces or straps necessary. I have added a simple straight stitch around the opening, not only to attach the rough edge leather decoration, but also to keep the leather from stretching and ripping under stress.
As you can see, the project is midway through, and I will post more pictures on the completed pair once finished, but I thought you might like to see the progress I have made in the past couple weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts