07 May 2012

Biscuits from Scratch

A lot has happened in the last two weeks! I got engaged to my boyfriend Wayne, and I graduated from college! Anyways, hopefully now I will have some time again to  post again. Regretfully, my skirt is still buried in a pile somewhere needing the finishing touches, so no part 5 on that yet. (Soon!!) But last night Wayne and I got cravings for biscuits, and being rather industrious, looked for a bit on the internet for a from scratch recipe until we stumbled across this delicious beauty. We ended up altering the recipe slightly, so I have reproduced it below for your perusal. These turned out delicious and I can't wait to make some more! 

Ingredients:
2 cups wheat flour
½ tsp salt
2 Tbs sugar
1 Tbs baking powder
5 Tbs butter
¾ cup milk

1. Preheat oven to 425.
2. Mix dry ingredients.
3. Cut in butter until resembles coarse crumbs.
4. Add milk. Mix until it turns into a loose, slightly sticky dough.
5. Knead 1 minute on a slightly floured surface and then roll out to approximately ½ inch thick. A pan narrow enough to keep your rolling pin on its lip works well for making biscuits with a consistent thickness.
6. Cut out biscuits using a clean, empty tin can. Press can straight down into dough, then twist slightly.
7. Ball up excess dough, knead slightly, then re-roll and cut out more biscuits until dough is gone.
8. Bake 12-15 minutes. 
Biscuits should be flaky enough to split in half without a knife.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts